Sunday, February 2, 2014

Dad's Turn 2/2/14

Dearest Baby Girl,

This is your dad here and its my turn to write. I cannot describe the love and already have for you. We have been praying for you every single day. So have countless others.

Tomorrow is the day we get some answers. We will be meeting with Dr. Bollo and your case worker Paula. Mom and I have researched everything there is to research about Spina Bifida. We are pretty sure we know everything about the risks and benefits of an in-utero surgery. Tomorrow is going to have to be the day we decide. Dr. Dassel was nice enough to release the results of the fetal MRI (the one where you kept kicking everywhere!) and we got more details. You have a 19 mm Myelomeningocele starting at the L2 vertebrae down. You also have a Chiari 2 malformation with some minor hydrocephaly and ventriculomegaly. Mom and I love you so much and we already cannot imagine a world without you.

You, little girl, have brought something wonderful and amazing into my life already. Sometimes I can be a bit pessimistic and impatient when dealing with others. I assume the worst in people at times, but you have helped me see the world differently. Hundreds of friends and family members have all huddled around us and given us tremendous support and love. Friends of all faiths and those with no faith have all become unified to pray for you. All differences have been set aside, and only love exists. The thing I want you to always remember is the overwhelming power of good in this world. It is an overwhelming power in this world despite what is shown in the news or elsewhere. My faith in humanity will forever be restored as I have seen the impact of this incredible gift. I am amazed to see notes of encouragement and love from friends and acquaintances from all aspects and times of my life, all for you. You are so loved.

Now, let me tell you the truth about your mom... She has never stopped worrying about you from the moment she knew you existed. That is just what she does. Better you understand that now and come to grips with it before you become a teenager. But she is also the most amazing woman. She has quit her job so she can be ready to do this surgery at the drop of a hat if needs be. She is willing to go through some pretty intense surgery and months of bed rest just so you might have a better life. Your mother is incredible and I love her so much. Every morning she sings to you and waits for you to give a nice kick.

So many miracles have come from all of this and we are so grateful for every one of them. God knows you as He knows us and He loves you as He loves us. I am starting to understand how much He loves us more and more. Have faith in Him and everything will always turn out. I love you baby girl.

Dad

3 comments:

  1. so tender..she will cherish this. we prayed several times for her today..and fasted of course. have you chosen a name? when is her due date?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are torn between two names. Due date is really unknown. Originally it was June 17th, but now she can be born at 37 weeks at the latest but 34 is the average after having the surgery.

      Delete
  2. Mark, that was just amazing. You're so right, this baby girl is loved so much! I can't wait meet her! Being a parent changes your life so much in a positive way. This little girl is lucky to have you guys as parents. I love you and my little sister more than you know!

    ReplyDelete